What is Phentermine HCL?
Phentermine Hydrochloride is a chemical form of an anorectic agent used by doctors to tackle obesity for various reasons. It is classified as a schedule 4 drug in the United States, meaning it is only legal to possess and use under a doctor’s supervision. Because of its similarity with methamphetamine, it may be highly addictive. It is also classified as a stimulant. It is designed to stimulate the central nervous system to block receptors responsible for sending “hungry” messages to the brain.
Consuming this chemical is associated with many health risks. Several studies show mild to severe issues, such as depression, heart, and mental illnesses, after the prolonged use of this chemical.
When you begin taking this drug, just like with any medicine, doctors will prescribe a smaller dosage, typically 15mg daily, and slowly increase as needed. You become resistant to the usual dosage at some point, and it’s time to increase the number of milligrams or stop. The maximum amount the human body can tolerate per day is 37.5 mg. Anything more may harm your heart and brain, among other issues. We’ll discuss these in more detail.
The first discovery happened in 1959. It was introduced to the FDA as the only anti-obesity aid that doctors can prescribe to obese patients. It took 11 years to approve this chemical and release it for human consumption. Quickly it gained popularity, and the hype began. Millions of doses were prescribed shortly after approval, and people started incorporating this drug into their daily lives. It took some time to discover that the side effects were severe; among these were heart valve failure and other injuries. This drug was quickly taken off the market for further investigation.
After several years of further testing, it was finally approved again, and up to this date, it is one of the most popular medications, widely prescribed to individuals worldwide. Depending on the country where you are, you can buy it in generic form or under different brand names.
How does Phentermine work?
Phentermine for weight loss works by blocking the brain receptors responsible for “hungry” messages. In scientific form, once you consume this drug, it stimulates neurons that release dopamine and norepinephrine. As a result, it affects the neuropeptide – the chemical responsible for the time-to-eat feeling.
It gives you energy – increased amounts of norepinephrine give users spikes in feeling more energetic and ready for physical activities. That energy boost makes a lot of people get up and exercise.
So the two significant effects of this medicine are suppressing appetite and promoting energy to become more active. Asus a result, many reported a significant reduction in body fat after just a few weeks of consumption.
Many individuals are reporting significant weight loss on a 15 mg dosage. Taking just one pill daily in the mornings can make you stop eating all day before dinner time. Try to eat dinner at around 6 PM and finally fall asleep at around 10 PM. A simple Phentermine 15 mg dose should get you through the day without complications.
Remember that this medicine is one last step before considering dangerous surgical procedures. Always discuss your options with at least primary care physician before considering any medical intervention. Even superficial liposuction can lead to a whole new level of health complications.
How does phentermine make you feel?
Well, it’s like the lovechild between an energy drink and a coffee: it gives you the extra boost you need to keep going without making you feel jittery or anxious. It stimulates your nervous system, increasing alertness and focus while reducing fatigue. So if your day needs a little extra zip, this medicine can help. But remember: always use it as directed by your doctor – too much of a good thing is never a good idea!
Still on the fence? How about this: while you might feel like you’re going through the motions during the day, with this medicine, you’ll feel like you’re on top of the world – ready to tackle anything! So don’t be shy. Give it a try and see how it can put some pep in your step. You’ll be glad you did!
How much weight can I lose?
The amount of weight an individual will lose while taking this drug varies and depends on various factors such as diet, exercise, lifestyle habits, and overall commitment to a healthy lifestyle. It should not be seen as a quick-fix solution for long-term weight loss but rather as an aid to help get started on the right track.
This medicine can be taken for 12 weeks or longer, and results may be seen within a few weeks of beginning treatment. However, it is essential to remember that it should always be used with healthy eating habits and regular exercise for the best and most long-term results.
This medicine can be combined with other prescription medications such as Belviq or Contrave to provide even more significant weight loss benefits. It has been known to help individuals lose 20 pounds or more when used as directed. It is essential to consult with a healthcare professional before beginning any weight-loss program to ensure the best and safest results. This drug is a safe and effective weight-loss aid when used correctly.
In conclusion, it can help individuals lose weight. However, the amount of weight lost will vary depending on individual factors such as diet, exercise, lifestyle habits, and overall commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
Are there non-prescription appetite suppressants?
Nonprescription appetite suppressants are called “fat burners.” These over-the-counter supplements are available in the stores like GNC or Iherb.com, and anyone can purchase them without restrictions. It’s a new topic of discussion, but to give you a short answer, why are ingredients not on the FDA list considered food additives? In this case, the whole unregulated pharma unravels, and if we discuss it here, it will take more than just a few paragraphs.
There are a few popular fat burners, some come with studies proving their effectiveness, and some don’t. It is tough to tell what ingredient works better than another.
For example, the cactus extract used in the weight loss supplements industry is Hoodia Gordonii. It is growing in Botswana, South Africa, and Nambia. It was discovered when scientists traveled to a remote village in Africa and noticed that tribe members were constantly chewing on the cactus of unknown species. They were not hungry, and not a single member had a gram of fat. It was immediately apparent that this cactus – Hoodia Gordonii, was affecting their eating habits. At the same time, not a single member lived to their 60s. So the question is if this plant is more harmful than beneficial.
Out of all the products claiming to be effective, few are very popular. To give you an idea of what they are, see below:
- Garcinia Cambogia – Overhyped by Dr. Oz, a dietary supplement with its main ingredient HCA – hydroxycitric acid. Nobody knows about effective concentration. It is not an FDA-registered ingredient, meaning it is unregulated, and so many deceiving ads exist.
- Green Coffee Bean Extract – Main ingredient in this supplement is Caffeine. The real question is, is it worth it? For example, 30 day supply of some unknown supplement may cost 100 times more than coffee. Either way, it is not going to help you lose weight.
- Forskolin – Very little evidence about its effectiveness. Many commercials advertise Forskolin as the only remedy for weight loss. In reality, it’s lies, and there is not enough evidence to prove that Forskolin is working. Some claim that the ingredient is in the leaves, and some say that leaves are ineffective. Some argue that you need to extract elements from the root instead. Forskolin grows in Nepal, India, and Thailand. It is from the mint family. So if you want to consume mint that will not help you lose weight – buy Forskolin.
- Raspberry Ketone – Do you lose weight when you eat raspberries or kiwi? I guess not. The main ingredient – Raspberry Ketone, is found in many sweet fruits and berries. There is a belief that it might increase metabolism, but no actual study has been conducted.
- White Mulberry – It is a shrub native to China. It contains many chemicals, such as stilbenes, flavonoids, benzofuran, and coumarins. Again, no studies have been conducted on any substances in White Mulberry, and nobody knows how effective they are regarding weight loss or side effects.
- Yacon Root – Smallanthus sonchifolius contains many fructooligosaccharides (FOS) carbohydrates. It is prebiotic and may help reduce appetite. Again, there are no studies about Yacon Root, and nobody knows about its health benefits or if it is safe to consume.
What are the most popular brands of Phentermine?
The most popular brands are produced by major pharmaceutical companies and are primarily for US consumers. More morbidly obese people per capita are living in the United States than anywhere in the world. The biggest problem is fast food. It’s a supply-and-demand platform.
Pharmaceutical companies are constantly researching new chemicals to produce a mix of unique ingredients in phentermine to help suppress appetite more effectively. Because of that, ingredients may vary from one producer to another.
To give you an idea of the top most popular products, please see below:
The most prescribed product for weight loss in the United States. Adipex P branded medicine comes in white and blue capsules with tiny slow-release pills inside each capsule. When consumed, these ingredients take time to dissolve in the stomach, which gives you energy and appetite suppression for the entire day. The brand owner is Teva Pharmaceuticals.
Lomaira is one of the latest products that serve the purpose of smaller dosages per unit. Each pill comes with only 8 MG of the active ingredient and can be consumed throughout the day several times. Doing so keeps hunger and energy in control, compared to larger concentration pills.
Qsymia (topiramate and phentermine) is one of the most expensive diet pills. It comes with multiple concentration proportions of active ingredients. Phentermine/topiramate is one of the latest innovations in the diet pills industry designed to treat obesity on a more controlled level. It is an appetite suppressant, but unlike other products, it comes with Topiramate, which is used as nerve pain medication to treat epilepsy and migraines. Regarding phentermine and topiramate mix, it reduces calorie intake and promotes exercise.
Duromine is sold in Australia and New Zealand. Comes in both forms, tablets, and capsules. Each unit contains between 15 mg to 40 mg. Unlike North America, where the maximum dosage per day is 37.5mg, in Australia, it is 40 mg. Like in the United States, patients must get doctors’ prescriptions for Duromine.
Side Effects of Phentermine
Side effects may be mild to none or mild to severe. It depends on many factors. First and most important is interaction with other medications and alcohol.
Most people experience dry mouth, make sure to consume plenty of water. If you feel anything else, you must bring it to your doctor’s attention.
The list of possible side effects are listed below:
- Behavioral changes
- Chest pain
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Decreased ability to exercise
- Decreased sex drive
- Fast, irregular, pounding or racing heartbeat or pulse
- Increased blood pressure
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or legs
- Swelling of the feet or lower legs
- Trembling or shaking of the legs, arms, hands, or feet
What are the alternative medications?
- Naltrexone-bupropion (Contrave) – Naltrexone and Bupropion-based medication. Designed as an aid to a reduced-calorie diet. Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist, and Bupropion is an antidepressant. Together, these ingredients create a powerful medicine for weight loss.
- Lorcaserin (Belviq) – Weight loss drug from Arena Pharmaceuticals. It activates the 5-HT2C serotonin receptor. In 2020, it was removed from the market due to a side effect, increased cancer risk.
- Wegovy (Semaglutide) – Twice per week under the skin injection. A hormonal-based weight loss medicine mimics a hormone called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), which is responsible for appetite.
- Orlistat (Xenical and Alli) – Designed to prevent fat absorption. By doing that, it reduces calorie intake. As a result, patients lose 4-7 lbs more than the others.
- Liraglutide (Saxenda) – Anti-diabetic medication used to treat chronic weight issues. There is a possibility of adverse long-term effects, and life expectancy is unknown. There is a possibility of other severe side effects.
When you begin the regimen for the first time, the doctor will prescribe a small dosage, just like any other medicine. Usually, phentermine 15mg per day if generic or 8 mg twice daily if Lomaira. The same goes for Qsymia. At first, you will get 3.75 / 23 mg. This process is to watch how you react to the medication, ensure there are no allergies or side effects, and move the dosage up as you get familiar with how your body reacts to it.
The maximum daily amount is 37.5mg in Northern America and 40 mg in Australia and New Zealand. In Europe, there are no regulations regarding the full dosage.
The maximum dosage in Qsymia is 92mg of Topiramate and 15mg of Phentermine.